Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Really? Retirement

How many times have I heard:
"When I retire, I am going to buy a flower shop!"? Well I will tell you, to many times. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE what I do but it is hard work, and long hours. Hardly what I would call retirement material. I know people think that we come to work and just play with all the pretty flowers but it is so much more than that. We have to know all the latest trends on colour, design, flower care, heck, flowers! What is new, what is coming up, what is going out! If anything my job is busy and wonderful.
Being in the flower business is extremely competitive too. With big box stores selling flowers just over cost, the florist has to work that much harder to compete. If anything it will eliminate the bad from the good but I really hope that it doesn't eliminate flower shops all together. We are to important to the community. Just think, where would people get custom work done for weddings and funerals. 2 of the most important emotional days in a persons life! There is something to be said for bringing flowers to someone who is grieving.
At the end of the day, yes, owning a flower shop is probably one of the biggest joys of my life. And I don't mind all the hard work. I do know that when I retire, it will be to just work in a flower shop or maybe, now this is crazy, just enjoy every day as it comes.
In the mean time, I am keeping up with all the trends. This blog will help me get the word out about what is going on in our industry! So keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment